PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - verbal and spatial performance...
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2003, 13:23
Hornetboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scroggs I read somewhere that most aptitude testing scores are converted into stanines in a procedure called "Standardisation". Basically 1 to 9, with the average being 5, and as it is under a normal distribution, a score of 9 puts you in the top 4%. As such, the cut-off is usually chosen to be 5, while a Standard Score of 4 may be considered under certain circumstances. Doesn't this then mean below average often equates a failure to reach the minimum standard?

I'm quoting from a book "Aviation Psychology : A Science and a Profession", edited by Klaus-Martin Goeters.....

"Suitable applicants should not have clear deficiencies in any of the required aptitudes......The whole profile of aptitude-tests is relevant. It should be average or better compared to the norm sample. A deficiency identified for one aptitude cannot be compensated by high scores for another aptitude if these two areas are not strongly interrelated."

.....Unfortunately it looks like you have to have the whole package.

I don't claim to be a professional in this subject. I just flicked through a few books out of interest and in preparation for a resit of some air force tests. But I am a believer that pretty much everything can be improved with practice. (I passed the resit)

ILS perhaps by practicing visualization in your head, you could work on that aptitude? That's something I've done and have somewhat improved on the air force aptitude tests, despite that section not being my problem. Maybe just try and picture objects moving through space (count sheep at night?...doing somersaults??lol). If you remember what the tests were perhaps you could picture the graphic scenarios in your head. I was advised to get someone to draw up different scenarios for me to practice. Or just get a hold of some practice tests and get your times down. Make that brain work! You could also start learning to fly, and some of these things could just come to you after a bit of practical application. I started my Night Rating to get some practice on instruments, which definitely helped.

Anyway when do you get to try the tests again? Whatever it is don't give up