PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Directors - a sometimes fatal attraction
Old 4th Feb 2013, 06:37
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very good points made.

When I made the switch from military to commercial aviation, I was doing sim training and the sim instructor kept telling me to "follow the command bars". I responded "those are SUGGESTION bars, I'll do the commanding thank you"

As someone mentioned above, learn to look through the FD bars at what you are expecting to see. Pitch and power will save your butt.

Good discussion.
Wow. Here is a SUGGESTION. Listen to your instructor!

Whilst I agree with the general concepts that we should be aware of the pitch and power, and be able to fly without FDs, your attitude seems a bit off to me.

There are integrating terms in many control laws, so if you don't want to follow th FD just turn it off. If you leave it on and don't follow it, it will increasingly given you bollocks anyway, because you'll confuse the **** out of its control laws. Not following it is a self fulfilling prophecy.

If it's on, follow it, unless you don't want it or it is clearly faulty, in which case turn it off. Simples.