PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Directors - a sometimes fatal attraction
Old 4th Feb 2013, 01:52
Wing Root

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Dash 8 MEL allows you to conduct a flight with the Autopilot and or Flight Director unserviceable.
During my endorsement in the simulator and throughout line training do you know how many times I conducted a raw data take-off? That's right – Zero.
The company has placed a small clause in the manuals to allow raw data approaches in strictly day VMC but this opportunity is rarely taken up. It's no surprise there is such an attitude as I witnessed a speech by a senior pilot lambasting a supposed cowboy operator for daring to practice the odd raw data take off. "How would you know what attitude to fly?" Unbelievable – especially as the take off mode of the dash 8 300 flight director only ever commands a fixed 9 degrees which we are always required to "Look Though" to achieve the actual attitude required for a normal two engine initial climb.
It's likely the first time a pilot will have to conduct a take off with no flight director will probably be as a result of applying the MEL to return an aircraft full of people to a maintenance base from some remote black hole airport in poor weather.