PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gold Coast needs an ILS
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 22:44
Wally Mk2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I tend to agree with 'Nev' in some ways that an ILS isn't anywhere near as useful unless it has HIALS, that's why they have HIALS as you may actually not be in cloud at the Min but the rain is so heavy that fwd viz especially at night is next to zero unless there is something to spot IE the bright lights well b4 the black bit. Remember it's cloud & Viz that need to be addressed:-)
I'd like a dollar for every time I've only seen the lights at or about the Min & if it wasn't for them then I'd be an expert at missed App's:-)

HUD's (yes I know they exist) is what the next gen of Transport Cat A/C need in color that simply replaces what we humans can't see due restricted visibility.
I can just see it (pun not intended) now doing the VOR 14 at Cooly in zero Viz but having a clear almost animated view of the world outside whilst we break off at the Min to align the Rwy all the time still 'seeing' that nasty hill to the Nth of the drome all in what looks like 3D:-)

The whole idea of any Inst Appr is to get Visual to land & it's about tricking the human eyes/mind as the Rwy is still there it's just that we can't see it:-).
We put man on the Moon well over 40 yrs ago with something like a Commodore 64K computer but yet we still have advanced stuff all in aviation in some ways!

Wmk2

Last edited by Wally Mk2; 3rd Feb 2013 at 22:46.