PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAS Offer and FRI's?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 22:24
Lima Juliet

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts
5f6b

Your figures look about right. But your examples are only for those progressing to Sqn Ldr and PAS at the same time.

Let's look at the £7k example that I imagined (yes, I could have explained it better!). A level 35 PAS Sqn Ldr gets £77.6k pa and gets posted to a desk job (as in my example) and after a Flt Cdr tour and a ground tour a Level 6 "career" Sqn Ldr with top rate flying pay could have done the same job at £53.7k plus £13.7k (£67.4k total which is roughly £10k difference). He has done a great Flt Cdr job and a great 1st ground tour but has not been picked up. He gets enhanced rate that same year and raises his salary by a further £3k, but he is still getting £7k less than the PAS Sqn Ldr sitting at the desk opposite him and he will only ever close the gap to £4k if they both do the same job until 55. And when they are both in retirement, the PAS mate will be on Champagne and the "career" man will be on John Smiths, because the PAS man has a 30% bigger pension to p!ss up the wall.

I suspect you misheard your senior PAS guy, who, if a Sqn Ldr Pilot, will be getting a bigger pension than the Wg Cdr boss!

Sorry for the earlier confusing post, but using PAS Sqn Ldrs in ground tours is not value for money - that was the message I was trying to clumsily get accross.

LJ

PS - also for the "career" Sqn Ldr is the spectre of reserve banding flying pay after 3 years in a non-flying related job This does not apply to PAS as they do not get Flying Pay.

Last edited by Lima Juliet; 3rd Feb 2013 at 22:30.