PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate Inquiry, Hearing Program 4th Nov 2011
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 20:44
Kharon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Depth perception.

FS #991 – and Oleo # 993. Two clear posts which bring us to a fork in the road. Both pathways forward are murky, muddy and guarded by ferocious beasts.

One path takes us down into the operational levels and to the resignations of two very well qualified safety inspectors; where to say the least, the timing is interesting. Where the Lockhart farce raises it's ugly head in the mix and there still remain questions of the RCA not signed by the well qualified individual who raised them, but signed by a person considerably less professionally qualified and regarded. It would be interesting indeed to have the two highly qualified persons in question provide their 'expert' version of the "facts and circumstances", i.e. who rogered who and who paid.

The other path takes us upwards toward departmental governance, to the ever ready legal crew who seem to manage the most extraordinary twisting, bending and shaping of the rules to suit a pre determined outcome, with an ease that beggars the imagination. This leads to the high altitude plateau of oversight and thus to management, the board and minister.

I feel a Royal Commission is a heavy, expensive blunt instrument to crack the Pel Air nut. A Judicial no holds barred enquiry into this one event will tear the lid off a can of worms. I believe the Senate is almost there; they cannot, for the sake of public credibility be fobbed off with another soft white paper. In an election year it will be interesting to see which path they take – in any event both pathways meet at the well of truth and the public safety.

It has been suggested that the Senate is, at the end of the day, powerless. It's time to take the kid gloves off and demonstrate where true power lays; and NO, it is not within the halls of Fort Fumbles.

Last edited by Kharon; 3rd Feb 2013 at 20:50.