PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Directors - a sometimes fatal attraction
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 18:39
petitb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Directors etc

The foregoing (brilliant) discussion sort of fires white noise at the hoary continous problem of pilot training in the modern era of highly complex automated aircraft.

It seems to me that pilot training from ab initio to type ratings might well be as follows:

1. Pilots must be taught to operate transport aircraft up to their intended weight without any automation, and to include upset manouvres. This would then carry an "initial" rating, certifying competence to fly aircraft of that weight limit (for example).

2. To then be type rated on any modern transport aircraft (ex. Airbus) and in addition to the normal conversion, the candidates should undergo an intensive flight control systems course ending with an appropriate examination. This course would entail a full understanding of the design philosophy, sensor layout, operational modes and failure cases.
In my opinion if you don't thoroughly understand what a modern FBW multi redundant channel flight control system is all about you shouldn't be operating the aeroplane.

Combing solid, initial light aircraft plus heavy manual flight operational training with 2. above should give me a pilot I can trust.

(ex just flight test bloke, now in the back with his fingers crossed)