PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thomson Airways
Thread: Thomson Airways
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 15:48
TSR2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the 'Dreamliner' about to become a 'Nightmareliner' for Thomson ?

Thomson must have invested a huge amount of money in the B787 to date. Quite apart any money already paid up-front, Thomson have invested heavily in the promotion of the aircraft and should the grounding delay delivery for a significant period of time, the overall cost may well be huge.

It has already been mentioned that flights operated by the Dreamliner carry an additional cost. I remember Thomson stating last year that all Dreamliner operated routes would carry a £50 per person surcharge per return flight. Should this be the case, and if this surcharge is refundable should the Dreamliner not operate the planned schedules, that amounts to almost £15,000 lost revenue per return flight.

Now add into the equation the difficulties involved in introducing a new aircraft into the fleet at a date later than planned. Crew training may have to be conducted during the height of the summer season, when spare crews I would imagine are few and far between. Leases on existing aircraft may have to be extended and possibly routes subbed to other operators.

I sincerely hope that a safe solution to the problems is found without a prolonged delay and that there will be very little lack of passenger confidence in the aircraft. However, should the delay run 'into a few months' it may be prudent for Thomson not to take delivery for a further 12 months soley on the grounds of logistics.