PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whirlwind thread perhaps like the Wessex
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 09:17
John Eacott

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
My only exposure was the HAS7 during 706NAS training. As a lowly young Mid it was a daunting climb up into the cockpit, especially with M'larky Jim (Dave Mallock) in the LH seat as my instructor! A few recollections: M'larky Jim demonstrating an engine off at Predannack and bursting a tyre followed by a return to Culdrose and a hover wheel change. Very impressive to a young sprog!

Starting the Alvis Leonides and hearing each cylinder join in the chorus. George Bedford having an engine failure (as a student on my course) and everyone else thinking the same: at least it wasn't me!

Then there was the matter of power management via a very rudimentary correlated throttle. Solo Sproule net sortie with CPO Paddy Mooney in the back with his strong Irish accent exhorting me to 'go up, sir, me bloody feet are getting wet'. I didn't think I was really that low, but dating his daughter didn't put me too high on his student rating

A few old photos:

The best way to fly a Whirlie 7, slung under a Sea King (no idea why we didn't put the wheels down, don't ask)

706NAS dispersal:

A few of a Bristow Whirlwind when I was flying an Alouette out of Warri, 1976: