PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C310 Vs B58
Thread: C310 Vs B58
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 08:24
XP-72

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
In this day of 'political corectness' I must first state my party choice bias. I am a Cessna person through & through.

Having got that off my chest I have got to say that the 310 is my choice of weapons.

Having flown most of the model numbers - from the B to the R - including the rotton 320 which I could never get a good landing out of!!

Being 6' 4" in the old language I found that I could comfortably sit in the seat & bung my nav bag between the seats.

As for the 'difficult' fuel system - we are supposed to be 'professional' pilots so learning what is really not a difficult set of rules is really a no brainer!!

In & out of dirt strips it is really better than the B58 - as stated earlier by virtue of it's height.

As for the complexity of the landing gear - some 13 seperate adjustments according to my LAME mate made the maintenance a little more demanding - I suppose that's like the fuel system. What that means in practical terms is that a very thorough pre flight is needed on the gear - especially with the older models with the welded struts.

I have done many ferry flights across the Pacific in 310's & found that with my height I could still be relatively supple after getting out of them. Some legs went 16hrs.

As for the B58 - I enjoyed flying them - but not in instrument conditions - not because of any lack of stability - but for the dopey panel set up that always placed the bloody ILS hidden away under the arm that the control wheel was on - for a big bloke that meant some kind of serious uncomfortable body positioning to see it right at a critical time.

Also I never ever felt comfortable in them - always felt confined & could never find a suitable place to put my nav bag.

Gotta say the build quality of the B58 was right up there at the top for that class of aeroplane.

As for pax ingress & exit - bugger them I'm having fun flying the thing!!

BTW as for load carrying capacity - the 310 will always trump the B58 - my record was 48% over gross coming out of Oakland - carrying normal ferry tanks but with all the spray gear from a 188 that was coming with me. In those days rules were not always followed. Even out of Pago Pago with that load the aeroplane worked well.