PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exploitation of Nazi Aerospace Technology by Britain
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 08:09
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Oh dear, as I warned before - don't open the Kammler Box - it will let out all the Holocaust deniers, Nazi supremacists, conspiracy theorist....the works!

Kammler was a particularly unsavoury character. Yes, he was an Engineer – indeed had a PhD – but typified the brutally efficient bureaucrat that permitted Endloessung - the ‘Final Disposition (Solution)’ to be carried out. He oversaw the V2 barrage and in Dec 45 he was put in charge, inter alia, of fighter production, which was basically ‘make more Me 262s’. Goering, during his interrogation, made no reference to Kammler, but did elude the fanciful production figures of c 3000 Me 262s per month!

According to Werner von Braun, when interrogated by US CIC in Garmisch in May 1945 (now the site of the George Marshall Centre for Security Studies), Kammler indicated that he was going to disguise himself as a Benedictine month (from nearby Ettallerkloster) and make his escape and meet up with SS elements near Prague. There are reports that he was killed near Prague or took his own life; suffice to say, in spite of his role in designing Auschwitz, heading the strategic weapons programme etc, he was never actively sought after WWII by any party, because he was dead. Ends.

The Henge and Bell stories emerged out of febrile imagination of a demented Czech writer in the 1990s, along with the bonkers stories about NAZIs in Antarctica. So much complete and utter tripe has been written (and continues to be circulated about the latter subject) that the Scott Polar Research Institute published a paper in 2006 convincingly debunking this nonsense. But they would say that, wouldn’t they?

Summerhayes & Beeching (2006):’Hitler’s Antarctic base: the myth and the reality’ in Polar Record 43 (224): 1-21 (2007).I

Back to the image of a rather nice-looking Me 262 (and thanks to Hval for finding a link - scroll down):

Herbert Thiess : Unterirdische Fluzeugfabrik Oberammergau : Me 262 Leistungssteigerung

Last edited by Whenurhappy; 3rd Feb 2013 at 08:11.