PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbird's thrust question
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 06:08
peter kent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Lyman,
I have woken up in the middle of the night and cannot sleep, which is OK because I'm retired.

Whether we accept or not that there may exist a particular arrangement of machine called a turboramjet perhaps we can invent a definition for ourselves.

A ramjet consists of a static compressor followed by a combustor followed by a static expander.

There can also be a machine consisting of a static compressor followed by a rotary compressor, or supercharger, coaxial with a gas producer consisting of a rotary compressor, combustor and rotary expander with waste heat recovery. This combination of supercharged air and waste heat recovery is fed, for enhanced combustion efficiency, to a main combustor, also called an afterburner. This is followed by a static expander.

We now have a supercharged ramjet, or, in the rotary compressor/expander vernacular of turbomachinery, a turbocharged ramjet or turboramjet.

Depending on the operating conditions and degree of supercharge, if the static compressor contribution be low and the supercharge be zero, we can call the machine an afterburning turbojet.

May be all rubbish but I did do it in all seriousness because I have a brane.