PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rotorway Corner
Thread: Rotorway Corner
View Single Post
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 01:35
Rotorgoat8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live right across from their factory (until they moved off our airport a few years ago) and they flew daily without any incidents (here anyway). Many of the buyers would come out here and get their rating or at least solo before going back to their homes. It's a neat little machine and I visited the factory quite a few times before deciding what to buy. My biggest concern was weight and balance; they have a ballast weight that must be moved from the front skid (flying solo) to a post aft of the engine (flying with a passenger). When the factory rep told me that the helicopter would roll over if the ballast was not in it's correct position that pretty much iced it for me. Later I read accident reports of exactly that same thing happening when an owner pilot dropped off a friend at his house and took off to fly back to the airport forgetting to reposition the ballast. He lifted off and over she went. Now I realize that this was clearly pilot error and not the aircrafts failings but there you have it. Rotor inertia was my second concern. I finally settled on a Bell 47G (low powered Franklin 210 HP engine) that I bought on the cheap. Lots or rotor inertia, safe with a history of training who knows how many thousand pilots. For something in the same class as the Rotorway, albeit single seat, I would opt for the turbine Helicycle.