PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Good airfield to visit for persons not particularly into flying
Old 3rd Feb 2013, 00:59
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
Turbulent & B-Towing

The Turbulent is a remarkable machine,with excellent control harmonisation,and fingertip response,which made it ideal for formation display work. They were not an easy aircraft to build properly,or keep to the design weight,but oh so delightful to fly,and a joy to own.
By utilising a VW engine spares were cheap,and an overhaul not a problem.
In fact i think we rather 'lost the plot' with some later u-light engines that seem very expensive with no better reliability.
People are fooled by their size,but they are a proper aircraft with a capable x-country performance,and zipping along at 100mph at 500ft en-route to somewhere is a great experience,and i did over 10 hours in one day on several occaisions.My 'regular' run was Redhill to Cornwall** (any time of the year) but i could have done with a canopy in the winter.
A minor constraint was not having a protected leading edge on the prop,so one had to watch the rain showers,(sorted later).

B-T = Aerial Advertising

** Not always successful,as the dreaded 'Okehamton Gap' would frequently pose an interesting situation with regard to cloubase,and even if one managed that Bodmin* moor could grab you,so several trips finished there* as opposed to L-end or St Ives.