PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 23:16
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have in mind a rough corollary to Boeing's issues with the battery/system.

A defect in the Intermediate shaft of the TRENT972 was identified, and an AD issued. The desigh was marginal, and was wearing far too rapidly, Rolls was replacejng the shaft with an upgrade as fast as they could, logistically, and ate the cost, as I recall. After a time, the AD was relaxed, to allow for the engine to hang on the wing longer. Field change out was tried, and worked to a degree (The Rolls is modular, and maintenance, shaft swap was made easier due that engineering). Then QF32, due to a "duff stub pipe".

The point is, Rolls had a solution concurrent with the problem. I said ages ago, for Boeing to put this system into the field, and paint themselves into a corner should the device go t/u, is inconceivable. But they ate how many batteries?

It would be essentially the same as if they plugged the bleeds, cast their fate with electric pumps, and had no back up, "well simply open the bleeds".

What an incredible gamble if they have no fall back to a replacement for "five minutes of back up electrical power."

It is encouraging to see at least a few 787s back in the air at all, even if ferry.

Last edited by Lyman; 2nd Feb 2013 at 23:18.