PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-400 Ballast Fuel and CG Questions
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 22:07
Imakethewake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BCF Aft CG Limit for landing

Hey ConnyCoba, did you get your W&B sheets?

I think you're on the right track. You need these sheets to determine the aft CG limit for landing....which also happens to be the aft CG limit for ZFW. That info will clearly demonstrate whether you are safe to land without the ballast fuel.

Not knowing your weights I cannot say for certain, but if my airline were to operate this aircraft empty with the standard 24,000lbs on landing and a dry operating index (DOI) of btwn 60~65 we would be well within the landing and ZFW envelope with no ballast fuel. However, the problem comes when you must taxi in. For this envelope the AFT limit comes a lot further forward, and may even put your empty and lightly fueled aircraft outside the limit without the ballast fuel.

So I agree with one of the repliers, use the ballast fuel in an emergency, but don’t plan on taxiing after landing. BTW, I checked the W&B sheets for the ERF and straight freighter and the result was the same. In fact the ERF was the most critical and would need the most ballast fuel.

I only have hard copies of the sheets so I can’t email them to you. Surely Cony supplies you with a sample sheet in the FM or a W&B manual onboard

Good Luck