PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stranded passengers. This decision could be very far reaching
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 15:16
ExXB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sober Lark
ExXB thanks for clarifying that point. If I was flying out and back DUB-JFK with say EI and my return flight was cancelled because the aircraft was 'stranded' in DUB would EI still have the duty of care even though I am a stranded passenger who is outside of the EU?
Yes. Article 3;

Scope
1. This Regulation shall apply:
(a) to passengers departing from an airport located in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies;
(b) to passengers departing from an airport located in a third country to an airport situated in the territory of a Member State to which the Treaty applies, ... if the operating air carrier of the flight concerned is a Community carrier.

Note 'operating air carrier' - if code share flight is operated by non-EU airline they are not compelled by this regulation to provide care, although they may do so as a matter of policy.

Also this regulation also applies to Norway, Iceland and Switzerland on the same basis.

Last edited by ExXB; 2nd Feb 2013 at 15:28. Reason: Clarify point on non-EU airlines.