PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C310 Vs B58
Thread: C310 Vs B58
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 13:57
displaced gangster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C310R fuel system.

C310R still is my favorite piston twin.
The fuel system, once you understood it's quirks is fine, the auxiliary tanks (bladders) use the engine driven pumps to supply fuel to the engine fuel control unit and are prone to vapourisation (I recall a pilot getting sacked for scaring passengers by selecting the auxiliary tanks simultaneously at TOPC, both engines surged for quite awhile due to vapourisation) A better technique is to allow the engine and fuel temperatures to stabilise, then select the auxiliary tanks one at a time, monitoring the fuel flow. If the fuel flow fluctuated, re selecting the mains with their electric pumps supporting the engine driven pumps restored the pressure/flow.

After landing, shutting down the engines for around 20 minutes resulted in the injector lines becoming heat soaked and becoming cantankerous to start.

The C310R has more room in the front (two big blokes sitting in the front seats had quite a bit more room between their shoulders than the Baron. The B58 had better access into the rear seats.

LAME's are adamant the C310 is easier to maintain (better access panel design)

Would love to have one for myself, however the fuel burn (115lts/hr) for a six seat twin would be hard to justify.:cool