PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 10:21
brakedwell

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Humar

Thanks Capot, very interesting. I can't remember seeing any tracks across the grey sand in the Humar depression. navstar1, the TOS camp was a few miles from the strip and was very basic then. We almost night stopped in Humar once when the cartridge starter system failed and I was left holding the starter knob and three feet of broken bowden cable. A landrover was despatched to the camp to collect a length of rope and a hessian sack, which was folded into a triangle, securely attached to the rope, and slipped over a prop blade before rotating it to the upper vertical position. It was dark when three TOS officers took hold of the rope and I shouted "3-2-1 RUN!" After several failed attempts the engine fired and they climbed on board for a take-off in starlight. My emergency starter system was carried on all future Sharjah detachments. Does anybody remember reloading the six shot revolving cartridge starter, which was inevitably covered in oil, too hot to handle and more often than not the OAT was over 40C?