PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Sharjah
Thread: RAF Sharjah
View Single Post
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 09:41
Capot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navstar

Humar is marked on the dune map; about halfway up the picture towards the left hand side.

On the BP map, it's at about 10.00 o'clock on the top edge of the Liwa, if 12.00 o'clock is the centre of the top edge of the semi-circle. You can see the red airstrip sign, just, but the name is unreadable. It's the 2nd airstrip along the top edge, counting from the left-hand side of the picture. Incidentally, the pencilled course lines (with time or distance marks) disappearing to the NW go to Jebel Dhanna and/or Tarif. I'm not sure why there are two routes to Asab; was there a 1-way system in the '70s? It would have made sense, there was a lot of civil and military traffic between the desert strips, all low-level, often in very hazy conditions.

Re navigation in the Twin Pins; I'm sure that Bimbo Ward taught me to use a drift sight in one of those, as well as to make sure that no-one was running up and down the cabin when trying and failing to set the elevator trim. ("Tell you what, it's just you 'n me, you fly it, head for Sharjah, keep it at 3,000 ft, I'll have a zizz in the back".) Were drift sights fitted? Or is it a memory lapse?

Last edited by Capot; 2nd Feb 2013 at 10:36.