PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RHS and Boyd at it again?
View Single Post
Old 7th Feb 2003, 02:16
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ulm

May I turn your question
So why is private aviation so over-regulated???
around and ask why is motor vehicle operation so under-regulated.

Should not the privilege of a motor drivers license be conditional on a minimum standard of health.

I see very few truckies at my local truck stop who are NOT dead set candidates for a massive cardiac infarct or stroke as they climb back into their rigs after the regulation "truckies special" with a bag packed with "comfort food" for the odd snack en-route.

They crank up their 40 plus tonne "B" doubles, for which BTW I also hold a licence, and head off on what we loosely call the "highways" of this nation with oncoming traffic closing speeds of over 200kmh with a lateral displacement of a few metres.

What chance you and your children should their ateries decide to slam shut just as they approach you in your 1.5 tonne sedan.

But back to the thread. If we TRUSTED CASA, then it would probably all be OK. but very few do. Why, they are simply corrupting the process - shunting regs through giving them more power. Making regs over prescriptive and stupid, acting with undue haste and no forethought and generally being an uncoordinated flock of self serving egos.
May I suggest that your local State Dept of Transport would elicit the same response should they decide that they have a duty of care responsibility to apply a minimum level of safety to the roads by insisting on the aforementioned "truckies" holding a valid "medical".

May I also suggest that the "dialogue" necessary between the Regulator and whoever, does not go forward in any useful way whilst that is held and communicated as a personal view.

My mother in law may well be ugly, bossy and interfering (she is not and a beautiful person, but just for the example ) but she is not going to go away, so we must work out a means of communication that serves us both and keeps the peace.

Calling her ugly, bossy and interfering just isn't going to get her attention and in a mood to transact a workable truce.