PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Engineering redundances - Advice required!!!
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 04:13
QF94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems that you are only repeating what has been known for years about Qantas management and none of this is new.
aeromedic,

You and I and those that have been through past "restructures" and redundancies will know this, but there will be those that haven't or choose to believe that things will change, and the message needs to be reinforced.

What other posts have been saying is that a strategy is required to DO something.
Fedsec has one. many other posts agree or disgaree, but put something forward anyway.
To ACTUALLY do something, or be SEEN to do something? What is being done? Monitoring O/T from the unions and getting non-O/T advocates to dob in people doing O/T? Putting a pile of statistics forward to anyone who will listen? QANTAS, CASA and FWA aren't interested. We've really got the company on the ropes haven't we!

What am I prepared to do about it? Unfortunately, we or investors don't get the chance to vote out the board, unlike the government. The only thing to do is to do my job whilst I'm still being paid by my employer. In the end, the only one to have any REAL say is the company. You may consider this a defeatist attitude or putting my head in the sand. That's fine.

When you've been around long enough in this place, as I'm sure you have been, you come to the realisation that it is a lot of talk from both sides, but the result always tips in the company's favour. We have all witnessed the shutting down of SYDHM, redundancies over the years, particularly S.I.T., the shutting down of MELHM, EOC, AVV and the list goes on (and that's just engineering). How much bleating was done about the company and their ruthlessness, and what was the eventual outcome? LESS JOBS AND LESS PEOPLE!!