PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Regulatory Reform Program will drift along forever
Old 2nd Feb 2013, 01:36
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When CASA said this in July 2012, I was pleasantly surprised:
CASA will have the remaining new parts of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations made as law shortly, bringing an effective end to the regulatory reform program.
I was pleasantly surprised, because there’s not much wriggle room there.

CASA “will have”. Not ‘intends to have’ or ‘will try its best to have’. No ‘ifs’ or ‘buts’: CASA will have.

CASA will have “the remaining new parts of the CASRs”. Not ‘some’ of them or ‘most’ of them. All of the remaining new parts.

Even the word “shortly”, though not precise, left little wriggle room. “Shortly” means ‘almost immediately’, ‘rapidly’, ‘quickly’, ‘before ‘long’, ‘presently’, ‘in a little while’, ‘in next to no time’.

But, over 6 months later, nothing’s happened and the weasel words are back. The January/February 2013 Australian Flying quotes the head of CASA as saying this, among other statements, about the completion of the regulatory reform program:
We’re just about on the home straight at the moment. … [Creampuff pauses to vomit …]

I could say to you that they’ll all be done next year, but it is not practice to make new regulations and have a long delay before they are implemented. So we will make the new regulations and implement them in a sensible and measured way. …

Whether the new regs come in one year or two makes no difference to some companies; …
So if we assume the interview occurred before Christmas, “next year” is 2013.

In that case, the statement: “I could say to you that they’ll all be done next year, but it is not practice to make new regulations and have a long delay before they are implemented”, implies that not all of the new regulations will be made in 2013. That interpretation is supported by the subsequent statement about “one year or two makes no difference”.

It was with considerable trepidation that I first posted this statement in this thread:
It is patently obvious that CASA no longer has the corporate competence to fix the regulatory trainwreck this side of the end of the decade, if ever, and no longer has the corporate integrity to be honest about it.
The ‘decade’ to which I referred ended two years ago.

I post, again, the quote of the statement made by the (then) CASA CEO to the Senate Committee, eight years ago, and contained in the first post in this thread started eight years ago:
I would be hopeful that it would not be long after early 2006 that most of the draft rules are delivered to the minister.
155 pages of regulations replaced with 1,500 so far, and apparently they’re not even “on the home straight” yet.

For some reason the word “knackery” leaps to mind.