PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Engineering redundances - Advice required!!!
Old 1st Feb 2013, 22:22
QF94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You fall into the trap Qantas lays for you by making that argument. Pilots have big egos, they need that to do their job. Qantas management has very successfully stroked those egos by appealing to "professionalism" , "being reasonable/fair/gentlemanly and a host of other nice sounding adjectives in negotiations.

The reality is that the guys in nice suits with the private school accents are just as feral as a Mount Druitt bogan when it comes to money. They will gut you and your family in a heartbeat if it suits them and think nothing of it. They have total contempt for all of you. It pays to remember that.

The CFMEU is the best model to follow.
Sunfish. Firstly, I'm not taken in by the fancy suits and Cheshire Cat smiles of these managers that hold a razor sharp knife behind their backs. Also, I don't know too many that have "private school accents". These guys are there to do a job. I in no way support what they do, but we as employees are justifying what they want to do, whether we do O/T or not, whether we slow down work or not. They have a set number of people they want to get rid of, and they will get rid of them. Either in one hit, or drag it out over months, just in time for the next lot of redundancies. The management have been on this path for some time now, and one redundancy or dispute just rolls into the next. There is no let-up.

I have said all along, no one is safe from the demolition that's about to take place (with the exception of the DMM's and Supervisors as per FedSec's previous posts).

I'm not going to get into an argument about the demographics of Sydney, but to use Mt Druitt as an example of bogans? Your elitism knows no bounds. Sutherland Shire has quite a few bogans themselves. Why? Many of them are in the employ of QANTAS, and as managers.

QF94 - you reckon you'd still be gentlemanly about things after years of dealing with a bunch of toffee's with well lined pockets at our expense, who seek to destroy our unionised workforce?

Further, have you conversed with a QF manager? I suppose you like conversing with brick walls; receiving responses that are so pathetic, it makes you cringe that they are using oxygen that can be better used by someone else.
eshlon, I have been conversing with QF management over the years. Not much response from the different regimes, and whatever response, it's all pretty much the same. None of them give a toss, and don't want the boat rocked on their watch, because within 18 months or two years of their tenure as a manager, they move on to the next section. While there is a constant change of managers, everything else stays the same. They talk the talk and that's all they do. I just won't drop down to their level. It achieves nothing and stresses you out at the same time.

Giving the opposition any ammunition to use against you at a later date does nothing for your cause. A couple of examples are "We'll slow bake you". Tony Sheldon, 2010 and "If I were a paying passenger, I wouldn't be flying QANTAS any time between now and Christmas" FedSec, 2010. The media went to town on that, and so did the company. The villain suddenly became the victim and "justified" shutting down the airline.

Agreed about the executive management. They all need to go from the board down. But we all know that's not going to happen in a hurry.

The plan for a deunionised workforce goes back to Dixon. He and Singleton aren't exactly involved in unionised workforces. You think it would be any different if he came back? Some on here seem to think so, or would back him by "half a head".

Last edited by QF94; 2nd Feb 2013 at 10:19.