PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military experience worthless?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2013, 20:32
Robert G Mugabe

Yes but the problem we have now is what is experience. I was told years ago having 10 plus years of rotary experience by my betters on the North Sea "Go airlines because you will have a better standard of of living".

In 199* experience was either

1. A few years Turbo prop.
2. A few years Military ( fast jet / Rotary / Transport )
3. A few years self improver/ instructor / banner flying / para dropping / etc )
4. A few years dispatching / cabincrew / crewing etc )
5. CTC before it became an obvious money making scheme.

Please note that the last was included because the people I worked with who came out of CTC in the early years were of a very high standard. In fact they were trained very highly and were bright,bright people. Unfortunately the training if not the candidate has changed in the last few years. It now is less about the candidates innate ability and more about the profit margin. ( with exceptions )

We now have people who cannot or will not have the integrity to declare themselves physically/mentally unfit because they are totally dependant on " the company ". No fly no pay.

Ironically most of our low / middle management positions are filled with ex RAF people.

I joined easyJet in 200* having been in the RAF for 2* years flying the Harrier and latterly having a number of leadership roles.
The difference between leadership and management is subtle but I was told years ago that this was the "integrity" call. Some if not most of the ex RAF types do not know the difference because they have never led people but have managed assets. I do not know of any ex FAA or Army types in orange management I am but willing to stand corrected.

I can say my experience with the Tango mob is that integrity is not valued at all in this company, in fact it is not valued or demonstrated at all.

P.S Had a few gins so forgive the obvious mistakes

Last edited by Robert G Mugabe; 2nd Feb 2013 at 08:04.