PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Exploitation of Nazi Aerospace Technology by Britain
Old 1st Feb 2013, 13:40
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the useful posts - I have managed to get a fund of information, although the paper produced by Matt Uttley is particularly useful:

Matthew Uttley (2002): Operation ‘Surgeon’ and Britain's post-war
exploitation of Nazi German aeronautics, Intelligence and National Security, 17:2, 1-26

Now separately, I discovered a Messerschmitt Me 262 Performance report on Feb 1945 (provided from a private archive) - on how to mod/upgrade the exisiting platform. I've never seen reference to this proposed mod '5 Zustand' - and I have to say, what a smart aircraft. It proposes using the existing fuselage ('Rumpf') but upgrading the engine installation to wing-root mounted HeS 011a, uses a dramatic 45 deg swept wing, and suggests a V tail as an alternative. Calculations and wind-tunnel information suggests 120 km/hr improvement over all altitudes, peaking out at M.92 at 6,000 m. I've tried posting it here - for some reason it won't upload the format. Has anyone ever heard of this variant before?

Last edited by Whenurhappy; 1st Feb 2013 at 13:41.