PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military experience worthless?
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2013, 11:44
Desk-pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice

For what it's worth my advice to you is to either stay in and get a nice cushy desk job in the MOD (which I think would be the best option) and do some recreational flying at the weekend or go and get a well paid city job and fly for fun. This profession is pretty much finished as a viable career.

To be honest even if you get a job you're going to be working for constantly decreasing terms and conditions in the UK or you're going to have to go and live somewhere undesirable like the Middle east to get paid what you're no doubt worth. Also if you join one of the second tier companies you're going to be worried about job security. I currently fly with with some ex-mil guys and I don't think they're that happy with the loco lifestyle or the way people are treated by mgt. I think they miss the respect that they were treated with in the RAF where their skills were appreciated. You won't feel appreciated in a loco, you will just feel overworked and underpaid!

Sorry if this sounds like pessimism on my part but the way the industry has changed in the last 7 years since I joined and the way it is headed with more cost pressure on pilot pay, worse/temporary contracts and future EASA changes in working hours it is no longer worth getting into it even though the flying part can be enjoyable. There's a world of difference between the likes of BA, Virgin, Thomas Cook, Monarch and the locos and those first four are incredibly hard to get into because everyone wants to work for them. Everytime one of the quality companies like Monarch opens their recruitment doors they shut them again within hours because they are literally swamped by people desperate to get out of the loco sector of self funded type ratings, 100 hour months and poor terms and conditions.