PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 787 Batteries and Chargers - Part 1
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2013, 00:41
USMCProbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
APU battery usage depends on how diligent an airline is about not using the APU. Some airlines try to not use it at all costs. Some use it every flight, maybe twice (before engine start and before shutdown). Only one of those times will the APU battery be cycled. The other time it will probably started off the main buses. I don't work for ANA so I don't know what they do. A medium/long haul aircraft might start its APU 2-10 times per day.

The APU takes about a minute to start. So 30-40% of the battery capacity is used very quickly, and the battery will probably heat up a bit. If it is then recharged very quickly (10 minutes?), it will heat up even more.

The backup battery should not get much use. Starting up a "cold" airplane, the battery might be used just to get essential power up to do a APU start. Also cleaners might need a little light, so a mechanic might turn the batteries on. Opening and closing cargo doors. etc. Not high draw stuff, and not for very long.

I only saw a "dead" backup battery once. Someone left the battery switch on overnight, or maybe someone outside disconnected external power with the BATT switch on.