PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stranded passengers. This decision could be very far reaching
Old 31st Jan 2013, 23:59
CelticRambler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AtomKraft
When you sell someone a ticket- you should take ownership of the job. If you can't fly them for some reason (whether or not that reason is under your control) you should 'look after' them if they get stuck.
That's all very well if you're selling an extended stay in a faraway place with the flights to get you there and back included. In the old days, Jack and Jill went to a travel agent to sort out their trip to the top of the hill. Now they like to save money by booking all the bits themselves.

Seeing as Ryanair most other airlines these days are selling one-way tickets to private individuals and nothing in-between, why should they be held responsible for Jack and Jill's failure to evaluate the risk of their return travel being disrupted and decide on an adequate level of protection?

Besides, assigning responsibility for any kind of disruption to the airlines in this way is discriminatory because some of the passengers on any affected flight will be on their outward journey. What claim for compensation can they make?

I heard the Ryanair spokesman's interview this afternoon. It sounded to me like this was a 900€ claim that they're quite pleased about - because it paves the way for Ryanair to go head-to-head with (for example) French unions going on strike and expecting MO'L to pick up the tab for conditions that really are not at all exceptional. I smell blood.

Last edited by CelticRambler; 1st Feb 2013 at 00:22.