PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military experience worthless?
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2013, 19:53
BIGBAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to think that my military training would mean that I would not make the same mistakes that were made by the unfortunate Air France crew but never say never
Without getting into a civvy/military arguement I the above statement will cause a few raised eyebrows !

Anyway, I've worked for 2 companies who have had a strong biase towards recruiting ex-mil, but now they only want to recruit type rated people as it saves on training costs. Thus ex-mil are persona non grata unless they have been somewhere else first to get Boeing-airbus experience.

So military flying is the cheapest way to get flying training but when you come out looking for a civvy job it's now going to cost you a type rating. Unfortunately it's the world we've been living in , on the commercial flying side . I don't think any line pilots want it this way, but it is now the way it is.

I don't particularly like the attitude some guys have coming out the military, saying our experience isn't valued, it almost sounds like "we deserve a decent job" straight away. Well I'm sorry but you have to join the queue with us lessor mortals and when you have a Boeing-airbus on your license , your experience will be valued . Company's are looking to save on training costs.

You don't have to be an ex- top gun to fly a 320, 747 etc. Companies are looking for the cheapest safest option.