PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB report just published on A320 throttle asymmetry incident
Old 31st Jan 2013, 05:20
toolish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In regards to checking the ground speed, a little off topic, but as the aircraft is accelerating it is a little difficult to check and compare ever changing gs and tas on the nd.
Important to check at some stage but at vr it is a bit pointless, as someone else mentioned.

My fix is, when 100 kts is called check the nd, this is the point where the number are joined on the nd by a wind direction arrow, if it indicates a hw life is good but if a tw it is time to make some decisions.

I have never heard this being taught it is just something I picked up by chance in this self help airline.

The other one that amazes me is when I ask the FO to monitor the tw on approach nearly everyone just looks at the wind arrow, my advice and this is nothing new for those with some experience, is to compare the gs and tas numbers (they should be fairly steady because the aircraft should be stabilised at Vapp) and if the gs is tas + 10kts please let me know.

The problem with Jetstar is that if you have had a command for 2 weeks you will be accepted into C&T. How are pilots meant to learn if their training captains are inexperienced?