PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbird's thrust question
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2013, 03:08
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went out on a limb as to "partial ramjet", if that is accurate there is a "partial problem".

First, he did nullify the 58 as a Turbo Ramjet. That much is in the patent, unless he said something to contradict, elsewhere. It most certainly is not a pure Ramjet, that is obvious....as to "partial", I may be the only one, but I stand by my statement, there is no such thing.

If this "partial Ramjet" is working, from whence comes the Ram? If you answer "Bleed" then you put yourself in a corner, by definition, linguistically if not technically also.

The origin of inlet Air for a Ramjet is from the airstream. If it is mechanically enhanced, it does not meet the standard definition and is not a ramjet, partial or otherwise.

Abernethy describes this engine's inlet (J58) as being frustrated by "Ram Air".

The Ram creates high temps, and blocks the Compressor section.

So Abernethy reduces the temperature and block by decreasing the pressure at the compressor initial stage. At this point, having decreased the Ram, the bleed travels back to the combustor. The bleed has lower pressure and cooler temperature than the core gaspath and enters the afterburner, and becomes by definition only a Ram Jet? By decreasing pressure and cooling? That is the opposite of the standard mechanism for a Ramjet. Reducing pressure and temperature in the chamber describes ramjet?

Arse About....

Last edited by Lyman; 31st Jan 2013 at 03:27.