PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some landing advice please. A320
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2013, 02:11
Noodlebox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's my first post on Pprune, not my first day flying! Iv been flying for many years in both OLP and training capacities. And I think that the standard of guys I've trained in recent years is very high, all extremely motivated, and conscientious, due in no small part to the amount of money it takes to train oneself nowadays! Telling guys that they should feel how to land " in the seat of their pants", is not helpful, and serves only to bewilder a trainee, and massage the trainers ego. Students need a datum of a decent landing to develop feel, and I think the advice given above is excellent.

As an aside, having flown on different fleets with various companies, I've found that there is a huge exaggeration on how much pilot skills have been eroded. When OFTM was initially introduced for one company I worked for, there was a huge increase in reported incidents. I find it hard to believe that we all started flying the aircraft more erratically overnight, rather that guys were pushed into reporting cockups that would have been previously"overlooked"...... So I think it's very easy to reminisce about how fantastic our flying skills were, but I would be mindful of the fact that they were in an era of far less traffic, less atc vigilance, less prescriptive OFTM monitoring, less commercial pressure, and lower fuel bills. It's a brave new world out there!