PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbird's thrust question
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2013, 02:10
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abernethy is very specific about "Turbo-Ramjet". He introduces it as a potential approach to solve the problem of high inlet temperature and blocking, (choking) of the compressor. He describes it as heavy, utilizing 100 percent air flow from around, (bypassing) the core and unworkable.

As to "Partial Ramjet" I write above re: Abernethy utilizing the bleeds to "cool" the afterburner. By cool, he means a titch shy of melting. That does not describe a ramjet, and as I wrote above, a RamJet is an all or nothing concept, there is no "kind of" pregnant.

As to why the term "ramjet" became au courant in the fraternity, I can only guess. In the fifties and sixties, a Ramjet was a concept that was tantalizing, though the idea had been around since the early nineteen hundreds.

Abernethy does refer to "Ram Air" in passing, and defines it as the source of the problem for high speed supersonic turbojet propulsion... He describes it as too hot, and too dense, to manage through the compressor inlet,, it choked the compressor section, (not a stall, essentially the opposite), and prevented the turbojet from getting into seriously high speed regimes.

His resolution of the obstacles caused by 'Ram Air', got the attention of everyone, and though misunderstood, came into the jargon as "Ramjet", when in fact Abernethy specifically denied the concept in his patent....

So the J58 is not a Ramjet, not a Turbo Ramjet, and not a Partial Ramjet...

It is a "Recovered bleed air system"....

I think the misunderstanding perpetuated throughout the community as 'jargon' since it really wasn't utterly wrong, and had a cachet that fit the times, it leant myth and mastery to the fraternity, a fraternity that was in serious competition with Mercury, and Canaveral, for big dough, and bragging rights....

I don't particularly enjoy the pedantic role, but I love a spirited discussion....

great respect, Brian Abraham...

Last edited by Lyman; 31st Jan 2013 at 02:13.