PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbird's thrust question
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2013, 22:58
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi gums...

you say...."The clever engineers at Pratt figured out how to use all the air being crammed into the motor to use it in the burner. At the same time, they reduced some temperature and other bad things on the "core" engine. They also realized that you couldn't get a lotta thrust with a pure turbojet at the speeds they were trying to reach."

I was about to sit down and take four paragraphs to say just that. Clear, concise, in english....

In the patent, a guy lays out the problem, offers options, and proposes a solution, making claims, and offers drawings and supporting material. I have been through it, and have a patent pending for a novel helicopter controls system.

For the record, the words "Partial Ramjet" are oxymoronic. A Ramjet is not a ramjet until a very specific point is reached, at which it becomes an engine, full on, no partial about it. It is either running, or it is not. It does not fill the role of "conttributory", as if it was some form of "Turbocharger".

Believe it or not, the Patent Office does not require a working prototype, or that the solution even work....

The inventor in question, here, Abernethy, calls his invention a bleed air recapture system.

He proposes the problem that all turbojets have, loss of power, efficiency, and off the chart temps, as it approaches very high Mach.

He says there are two causes, excess Temperature, and excess airflow, which "chokes" the compressor.

Both of these problems are....ready? Created by RAM AIR. So the problem is Ram AIR, too hot, too thick, and what do we do? Here he proposes to drain some bleed air from the fourth stage of the Compressor, which instantly unblocks the compressor (choke) and moves aft through the six ducts, to enter the Ejector, for added mass, and expansion.

This process also cools the compressor and Turbine, and the Ejector LINER, the case.

I am going back in to find the text where he identifies cooling function, and reheat.

back in a bit.......

from the PATENT (claims)...

"...my new engine provides cool bleed air to the afterburner for cooling purposes."

That does not sound like he is "turning the afterburner into a "partial RamJet".
As the "website" purportedly claims.

He specifically eliminates the nomenclature "RAMJET" as one of his"proposed" and ELIMINATED options. Number (3). "TURBO RAMJET", the name itself, is rejected by this man as descriptive of "his engine"...in hisown words (through his patent attorney).

But do read the patent, it is informative, seems to have cleared up some murk, and is pretty typical of Patent text in general.

cheers, Lyman

Last edited by Lyman; 30th Jan 2013 at 23:35.