PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sheffield City Airport Petition
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2013, 22:37
pug

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts
So which bits of the report do you disagree with ?
It's not that I agree/disagree with parts so much as that it is heavily biased, when it should have been subject to a completely independent analysis.

London tends to be quite an important market for a regional airport, especially one that itself is using the "City" branding. With LCY gone, whole business case already massively weakened. You can't just "except" such a core market!
Bcks.. How many UK regional airports still have a connection to London, then how many of those are linked with LCY..?

See above. Let's see the evidence this airport was a real going concern.
I agree, the whole things should be debated publicly. Hence the reason for the petition at the top of this thread.

The old loads instead of yields argument
Care to elaborate on that one

Look up the road to Doncaster and remember all the hype how it would be Yorkshires number one airport.How they would attract significant numbers of passengers from the LBA.EMA and MAN but it didn't happen
Some believed that the best course for air travel in South Yorkshire was to concentrate upon SZD instead of developing a former military base near Doncaster. Whether DSA has been or will be a success is open to debate, but it certainly isn't offering the services promised when plans were made to reduce Sheffield City's capability to handle commercial passenger traffic.

Knowing full well that I'm going around in circles I will say again. People with money and commercial accumen are currently in talks with the landowners with a view to purchasing the site and reopening the airport. That they believe there is a string case for this cannot be denied and I think some should let their ego's allow them to conceed that.

Will Peel sell? I'm 99.9% sure that they wont, but I still feel strongly that the whole subject should be debated in the open and the focus of an independent enquiry of sorts. At best this whole situation has been handled badly.