PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improving Direct Operating Cost (DOC) help please
Old 30th Jan 2013, 20:50
avionimc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F8F – Forget all the Hollywood stuff such as FBW, A/T, FMC/FMS, etc. Ask your uni professors if they actually know anything about aviation and if they have any common sense! Tell them you cannot take a Ford Model T and convert it into a “would be” late model (2013) Mustang, or Prius.

The F27 was a very fine aircraft. If I had such an aircraft [project], time & money, here is what I would install (or something like):
Dual Garmin G600 SVT (with synthetic vision – e.g., L3 IRIS or Max-Viz 1500, or Max-Viz 600)
Dual GTN 750 (or one GTN 750 and one GTN 650)
L3 TRILOGY ESI-2000
GWX 70
GTX 33ES
GTS 8000 (TCAS II) or GTS 850 (TCAS I)
Sandel ST3400
etc.
This would make a real cool flight deck and, I would fly the bird to the AirVenture!
But, most important is replacing the RR Dart engines with newer, quieter, easy to maintain and more fuel efficient turboprops. You will have to research which “today” turboprop make & model would be appropriate (and which shp is required).
There are probably no STCs, therefore field approval F337s would have to be obtained. All this could probably be done with the FAA; but no chances with EASA! IMHO.

Actually, I would try to get a FAA special airworthiness certificate - Experimental - Exhibition (or Research and Development in your case), no STCs required.

Improving “DOC” of a F27 Friendship is a futile exercise, but again, you will have a real cool airplane, the envy of many museums. Good Luck,

Last edited by avionimc; 30th Jan 2013 at 21:26.