PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter - v - crane LONDON
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2013, 19:58
jumpseater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JB(I'm not certain what the controller was seeing on the screen at 0758 when the tx was "you can make it quite a wide hold etc.")
Perhaps nothing, i.e. no traffic likely to conflict, and offered a more flexible hold pattern being mindful of poor wx in the vicinity.
'Wide' in this context as I interpret it may mean that if there were a delay in co-ordinating the handover or subsequent LW approach the pilot would have a more relaxed elongated holding pattern. I'm thinking if referring to an east west 'swathe' (authorised to LB 0758z) rather than the much shorter VB-WB originally passed. This would reduce workload/co-ordination/transmissions if the aircraft needed a changed hold pattern due wx, whilst co-ordination was taking place between the two units. The controller may also have been working/co-ordinating other aircraft and anticipating a tx sequence in advance, hence they make their life a bit easier giving the a/c more flexibility within a defined space, reducing workload and transmissions.

Alternatively as the a/c was a twin it could refer to a wider than normal north-south swathe of the VB-LB hold authorised for operational flexibility.

There may be clarification in the final report of this aspect.