PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbird's thrust question
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2013, 17:33
Turbine D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lyman,
I cannot isolate any further the kernel of my position.
That is because your position is weak.

w/o extraneous data, would you simply say if you understand my position?
No, I do not understand your position.

The "extraneous data" are facts that you, for whatever reason, choose to ignore in attempt to reenforce your position.

I know this is a waste of time but, I will give it one more try. Simplistically, for the SR-71 mission, the engines required a level of thrust capable of flying at 80,000 feet and Mach 3.3. To achieve this, an engine had to be designed to provide enough initial thrust to propel the aircraft to a high Mach (~2.2) when a ramjet function could take over to accelerate and maintain a speed of Mach 3.3. To achieve this goal, the turbojet (generator for the ramjet) had to function as well as the ramjet, itself. However, there was a problem at high Mach with the turbojet compressor. The air in the compressor could stagnate causing compressor blade flutter or even compressor stall where the turbojet engine would cease to function at all. So the solution was to take excess air somewhere from the turbojet engine and duct it back to the AB (ramjet burner). This could be accomplished a couple of ways, pull air out as it entered the engine or pull air out at a convenient location in the turbojet compressor. So as to make the engines fit into the hole in the designed nacelles and not make them bigger in diameter adding weight to the aircraft, the latter solution was chosen. In doing so, it does not modify the basic definition of a ramjet or the ramjet function, in fact it enhanced it by providing more air for combustion when mixed with fuel. It is still a ramjet working with a turbojet or a turbo-ramjet engine. All the by-pass tubes do are to ensure the turbojet still works at Mach 3.3.

TD

Last edited by Turbine D; 30th Jan 2013 at 17:53. Reason: Correct grammar and punctuation