PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - July 03 course to become Jan 04?
View Single Post
Old 6th Feb 2003, 15:24
Dances with Boffins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fly Bhoy

Much as I'd love to put your worries to rest, I am unable to answer your [quite proper] question, because at the moment I, and I suspect, management right up to Board level, don't know.

What is known is that there is no way that Area training can shift from the old course to the new without either a]cancelling one AREA intake [which amounts to 80% of each course], or b] reducing the AREA intake over a whole year by about a third, as there are not enough instructors or simulators at the college to run full old and new courses side by side. However LACC is still screaming for more controllers as anyone reading this forum over the last year can attest, so reducing the college output by even one course will result in some very pointed questions being asked at board level.
Someone will have to bite the bullet and make a decision, but at the moment no-one is blinking[remember the three way gunfight in 'The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?].

The only ray of sunshine is that it should be sorted by the time you start training, which will improve your chances of making the grade at your final unit . Doesn't make your life at the moment any rosier, but hang tough. NATS really does need ATCOs, and they will continue to do so long after you are safely valid and gazing lovingly at some electric tadpoles.