PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Blackbird's thrust question
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2013, 10:55
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps Lyman can expound on why compressor inlet pressure is of importance.

Hello Brian

Our disagreement seems to revolve around the definition of "compression".

Bleed air originates in a mechanical (axial) cabinet, ramjet inlet air originates from the mere capture of air in an intake. There is no mechanical enhancement of pressure; the high velocity of the inlet relative to the airstream provides compression sufficient to ennable combustion, after addition of fuel.

So it is simply the lack of mechanical enhancement that creates the criterion for the definition.

So to me, any "aspect" of ram "effect" would by definition need to have its source of compression separate from the mechanical core of the engine.

It seems a workable distinction to me.

I can't imagine why it is so difficult. In creating criteria, the format can include or exclude certain aspects that allow for more restrictive or more general conclusions.

The easiest thing to do is to agree to disagree. We have different criteria for the discussion, which allows for both of us to be correct.

If enough people, especially wise people, use terminology that they agree on, the purpose of understanding is done. You and I use a slighly different set of criteria.

It seems important to you that I disagree with your definition. We have no fundamental disagreement, only a slightly different opinion on the background of the mechanical aspect of the origination of the air supplied to the combustor.

Consider me wrong, and let's move on?

With great respect.....

Last edited by Lyman; 30th Jan 2013 at 10:59. Reason: Spelling mistake