PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No take off and landings for Lion Air F/O's?
Old 30th Jan 2013, 08:37
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
My line training on the 737 many moons ago originally as an FO involved mainly four sector days with my invariably doing three of the landings. We have always shared the flying equally since then unless auto landing which I am required to do in low vis (but hardly counts towards handling skills).

However this enlightened approach is clearly not the norm in many parts of the world. But then again in the good old days it wasn't either. The FO put the gear up and shut up for the most part if we are to believe authoritative books like Trust me I'm the pilot about training in BEA or North Star over my shoulder describing the early days of TWA.

So really this is a return to how things were. From a management point of view there is a logic. The likelihood of your FO damaging an aircraft when regularly landing is somewhat higher than them not managing some sort of landing in the rare case of incapacitation. From a job enrichment and people development point of view it is of course a retrograde step.