PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2013, 07:30
plasticmerc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inerting the battery could be done much like the inerting of the center fuel tanks!
Nitrogen generation system seal the battery bay/ isolate the battery and plumb in a feeder line to it with a nitrogen system.
But having read previous posts I don't think that would be very successful as when the battery goes off with a bang it produces Oxygen. Would the nitrogen rich area be enough to dilute the O2 content???

This is an interesting situation many airlines world wide have pinned their hopes and dreams on the 787, new routes, fuel saving replacements.
Just goes to show as the world gets more densely populated and a/c get bigger we realize how much we need a particular aircraft.
Turbo props have grown from the original 19-30- 50 now 70 seaters. now we see 90 seaters on the horizon, unfortunately regional airports and towns/cities can't fill the increase and then you end up having no regional services to such places.
Boeing have tried to do a shorter range 787 but that has been a flop, many airlines rely on 767 a/c not too big not to small good range good operating conditions. but it is old and there is nothing that would have replaced it until now.
I understand I have drifted off topic a bit but in my opinion it is all relevant.
This battery/ electrical defect will have huge ramifications to the whole aviation environment.