PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Schools in the Greater Toronto Area.
Old 30th Jan 2013, 02:34
PerpetuousDreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Schools in the Greater Toronto Area.

I have recently moved from Montreal to Toronto, and I was wondering about good flight schools in the area, I have done my research, and I seem to be torn between Spectrum Airways and Toronto Airways Ltd.
I have already acquired 36 flying hours at St. Hubert Airport located just south of the island of Montreal, I have my PTR and logbook on me certified, stamped, and ready to go. I'm just reluctant as to which flight school to join. I'm eventually going for CPL/Multi-IFR. Bear in mind that St. Hubert Airport is a fairly busy airport, ranked as the 6th busiest in airport in Canada by aircraft movements. I'm looking for something to match that.
Spectrum Airways is located at Burlington Air Park which is a small airport, with no ATC. Communications are UNICOM/ATF.
The school itself seems to be top-notch. And the prices are fair.
And on the other hand I have Toronto Airways Ltd. located at
Toronto/Buttonville Municipal Airport, which is a privately owned medium sized airport that is ranked as Canada's 11th busiest airport by aircraft movements. The airport has a control tower, ATIS, and two asphalt runways.
The school boasts a 40+ aircraft fleet, and is one of the biggest flight schools in Canada. But the problem is that they stopped funding this airport and it may close at any second due to a lack of funds!
I know in the end it won't matter, and that flying is flying. I just want to make sure that I'm going to make the right decision like any investor would. And I say investor because this ain't cheap as you may all know.
I would appreciate some feedback from fellow pilots/students.
Good day to you all.