PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Improving Direct Operating Cost (DOC) help please
Old 30th Jan 2013, 00:07
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D.O.C.s

" The Operation of Airlines " by J.E.D.Williams, although perhaps dated, is of a similar vintage to the F27. (I think that it may have been digitised.)

Some of the aspects you must know already.

How long do you expect the aircraft to be in service, a week, a year or ten years
How many flying hours or landings can be anticipated in that period. Then add 10%, because you never can tell !
How readily are ordinary routine spares available ?
To get the aircraft airworthy requires a C of A. For a projected service life of one week... or one flight... THAT IS EXPENSIVE.

At one stage in history, aircraft were "Cheap to buy- and dear to fly." Now the pattern is reversed to "Dear to buy-and (relatively) cheap to fly." because of the economies of scale, with many more passenger/miles/day.
( An Empire flying boat cost £37,000, new.)

Good luck
LT

PS I am not an engineer and I have never even boarded an F27, but I suspect that installing FBW and then getting it approved as airworthy... MIGHT BE DIFFICULT, to put it mildly !
Upgrading the avionics sounds easier, a new box with a new dial sounds so much simpler.
RR used to supply some engines on a " Power by the hour" contract.
Do some basic calculations for the various alternatives and then graph them out to see if any look promising. Graph paper and coloured felt tips may be sufficient. ( A computer program will tell one the answer that it has been instructed to give, by the programmer.) LT

Last edited by Linktrained; 30th Jan 2013 at 00:47. Reason: PS