PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Great lakes
Thread: Air Great lakes
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2013, 20:49
mostlytossas

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can't remember that Dr,but you may well be right. What I can remember though is throughout the islands and coast around the lakes were large Goanna's.
I can very well remember hiring a boat for the day from a local boat shed ( from the same guy who used to run the ferry service) and heading off with wife and kids in tow to the many BBQ spots around the lakes,only to have them screaching at me as a goanna or two would wander into our spot looking for food.
The airport at that time was still in very good condition,and though unsealed the runway and taxiway was wide,long and flat. The apron was bitumen though,and had a house next to it for the once caretaker.
Googling past Air NSW timetables it appears it was in use for many years as DC3's serviced( direct flights some days) from Sydney in the 50's and later by Metro's and F27's. I am guessing the service was abandoned by Air NSW and perhaps for awhile taken over by East West until sometime in the late 70's which probably was when Great lakes took over for a brief period. Forster is yet another in a long line of country ports that no longer have a RPT service.

Last edited by mostlytossas; 29th Jan 2013 at 21:53.