PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATSB report just published on A320 throttle asymmetry incident
Old 29th Jan 2013, 19:09
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
So to summarise from the comments here in laymans langauge, and please correct me if I am wrong:

1. A Jetstar pilot mishandled the throttles of the aircraft which could have resulted in not enough thrust being available for a successful takeoff.

2. The training pilot and pilot flying miscoordinated the takeoff rotation action and the pilot flying did not check the airspeed - which could also have resulted in takeoff failure.

3. The ATSB decided their was a single cause for the incident and did not subscribe to the James Reason / chain of circumstance model of incident eventuation and did not examine the causes of the incident in more detail as they relate to management and training. They employed the far cheaper and quicker "one off" incident model.

3, The safety action taken by Jetstar was to tell the pilots not to do it again.

4. The ATSB was entirely satisified with this outcome.

So am I right if I draw the conclusion from this that the ATSB/Jetstar safety action does not, in the opinion of airline pilots, comprehensively preclude a similar incident happening again?

.........Especially since Airbus side sticks don't provide any direct haptic feedback to the non flying pilot about what the pilot flying is trying to get the aircraft to do. (translation: the other pilot can't feel what the other guy is trying to do because the side sticks aren't mechanically connected)

to put that yet another way, is there a tail dragging incident or worse in Jetstars future?

Last edited by Sunfish; 29th Jan 2013 at 19:14.