PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2013, 16:49
nef

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
putneyuk
If the person gets it that ive been hearing rumours about, the gloves will definatley be off and will be interesting to watch in coming months. With possible carrier coming the other way.
Well this is a rumour network, so how about telling us who the person in question is, or at least the airlines that'll be hot footing it down the M77?

Wrt to "gloves coming off", surely the various management teams/owners at PIK have had the gloves off and have been trying to poach traffic from the other 2 central belt airports for the last 10+ years, that's certainly the impression I've got. Unfortunately they've not been that successful - Indeed, as much if not more has gone from PIK to GLA/EDI than the other way round, particularly recently. PIK has in the past benefitted from the BAA monopoly at EDI/GLA and picked up airlines who were priced out of both. Now that they are in separate ownership I don't think it will be that easy - both EDI and GLA will be fighting for every piece of new business.

I'm interested to know what any new owner can offer to entice airlines to move. Whilst a shiny new terminal might help, I think the state of the terminal is generally a bit of a red herring - The main issues are surely having to go up against FR and PIK having a less favourable location than GLA and EDI. The W6 spokesman yesterday didn't say a word about the shabby terminal, he was talking about location and being close to their customer base. People can come out with all the rhetoric they want about rail links etc, but the fact of the matter is that GLA and EDI are better located and thus more attractive to most pax and there's little any new owner can do about it. The only way over that is to offer virtually zero charges (as FR seem to receive) which brings up the same problem - little income and resulting losses.