PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will a Viscount ever fly again?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2013, 12:15
Cubs2jets

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Rob, To answer a part of your question above try a google search on the registration N836D, this should give you a good view on the years of restoration work that went on to get a DC-7B flying in the US, you may already know about this project ?

N836D is now moldering away in a location that can't take care of it and doesn't care. On her last departure, with paying passengers onboard, she blew Number 3. I have been told there were already plans in the works to replace Number 4 for pending problems. She is now stuck in Charlotte, NC at the Carolinas Aviation Museum - outside, unprotected and uncared for.

I was told at the time of the engine failure, two of the three owning parties had voted to ground the airplane due to the high cost of operation. Insurance alone for a plane that carried 40 some passengers was an eyewatering figure to me. I believe I was told that it would cost about $100,000 per engine to get the two engines replaced.

As far as preservation of this beautiful plane, to my knowledge, NOTHING was done by the owners (or the museum) except have 700 gallons of 100LL fuel removed to prevent environmental contamination due to (to my eye) significant fuel leaks. The crew departed late the afternoon of the event and to my knowledge NO ONE representing the owners has ever returned to look in on the old girl. Nothing was done to protect/preserve Nos. 1 and 2. Nothing was done with the batteries. Nothing was done to cover holes to keep her from being a giant "birdhouse" (pun intended).

The DC-7 will NOT fit in the hangar at the C.A.M. (it's full of a smashed, waterlogged A-320). I know of no plans to even make her ferriable to get to somewhere that she could be cared for.

We all have desires to see "heratige" equipment of all types in operation. I believe it truly serves a purpose in education. BUT few are really willing to shoulder the incredible financial burdon of making this happen and most of those that talk about it don't know what they are talking about.

C2j

C2j