PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter - v - crane LONDON
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2013, 08:50
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
Quote:
I'm quite surprised that no-one else has noticed that this helicopter was directed to hold on the one stretch of the Thames specifically outlined in the regulations for the helicopter routes where helicopters pilots are not to expect to be held.

He wasn't though. The clearance according to the AAIB bulletin, as given in that bulletin is:

“ROCKET 2, YOU CAN HOLD ON THE RIVER FOR THE MINUTE BETWEEN VAUXHALL AND WESTMINSTER BRIDGES AND I’LL CALL YOU BACK”.

Which is the standard clearance to remain outside of Heathrow's Class A airspace until appropriate permissions are obtained. The controller also widens it for the aircraft to extend east to London Bridge if needed, which is very normal, although the weather was worse, I believe, to the east.
This is the problem with posts that quote regulations without a link. Hopefully this link to he AIP helps.
http://va-transaero.ru/files/charts/EGLL.pdf

Page 24
EGLL AD 2.22 – FLIGHT PROCEDURES
10 Helicopter Routes in the London Control Zone and London/City Control Zone

Looking at the heli lanes map on page 42, Vauxhall is a compulsory reporting point, because its triangle doesn't have an 'H' in it, it is fair to say that it is a point at which you wouldn't normally expect to be asked to hold.

Page 25 confirms this;
Note 1: There are no Holding Points on H4 east of London Heliport. The nearest Holding Point is at Greenwich Marshes, outside the 'Specified Area'.
Also on page 25;
Note 4: No helicopters to hold on that portion of H4 that lies between Vauxhall and Westminster Bridges. This does not apply to traffic operating under flight priority Category A or B.